Friday, January 23, 2009

Those TWO Minutes.....

"You don't know Megs, life is much better than you think", my colleague cum a good friend Saahil* happened to tell me last evening.... and well I just made a face and walked ahead.

Again when I crossed Saahil's* path - he still said the same thing, "Life is actually better, than you think - can I talk to you for two minutes?" One thing going at the back of my head was - well what do these people know. What do they know what I am going through?

I still went ahead and gave him my day's two minutes. What he told me - touched me, brought tears to my eyes, made me angry, made me feel helpless and made me reach out for him as well.

Saahil is a dentist by profession and an entertainer as well (I mean it!) and has a girlfriend with whom he has had a relationship for five to six years. This last week has been a bit tough for both of them. The D-day or rather the D -week as they call it. That would decide whether he could be a part of this woman's life whom he loved, cherished and treasured her love in his heart of hearts. This is what touched me!

What made me angry; her parents are not willing to see her settle down with this guy. They threatened her that they will kill themselves and if she does go ahead with it - then it is best if she does not show her face to them in future. And what not!

Why were they unwilling to accept this friend of mine? Coz he is of a different religion, he is in the field of entertainment (if he flirts with other women - who knows he might leave her!), he eats non-veg... and the list goes on. His girlfriend has tried hard, through salty tears, with determination in her mind to convince them but they have stood their ground.

What brought tears to my eyes was the fact that this darling friend of mine accepted the situation as is. In fact when he goes out with his girlfriend he eats orders vegetarian food, cannot call her up at his own will - only when she gives him a miss call can he call her back, meets her only when she's out with her friends. I mean goes to every extent of keeping her happy.

Her parents feel that they will be able to find a much better guy, very rich and who will also follow 'their culture'. Yeah right! Probably they will always keep their eyes shut and ignore the finer things that life gives them. What sort of parents would want to see their daughter unhappy, not getting her married to the man whom she loves to chat with, cuddle him, pamper him and get into sweet arguments with him at the same time.

The irony of the situation was, while her parents will not allow her to marry the guy she loves, my parents are willing and would welcome the option with open arms. The only thing is I don't have a GUY! So life is funny as they say.

My friend was right, life is better, much better than what we think - it seems they have put an end to their relationship. Coz well its not going to work anyways. Her parents have confiscated her cell so that she does not talk to him!

He looked at me, smiled and said, "Am fine - its okay, you go home now, will be late." I couldn't help but admire the brave face he put on that evening - I got up, welled with emotions, hugged him and bid him goodbye while he toyed with his cell.

What also touched me the most that evening was while I was leaving, he was going through the 'Images' folder on his phone to admire his love probably whom he would not be able to see again!
*Name changed on request

No comments: